2016 was another exciting and eventful year for New Relic. We introduced powerful new products and exciting technical previews, added cool new features, hosted amazing events, and inked potent new partnerships.
While there’s no time to recap everything that happened this year, we wanted to take the opportunity to highlight 10 noteworthy developments in 2016.
- Digital Intelligence Platform: Unveiled in November, the New Relic Digital Intelligence Platform provides full-stack instrumentation designed to deliver actionable insights about your digital business. Incorporating the full suite of New Relic products, the Digital Intelligence Platform covers everything from your digital customer experience to your apps and infrastructure, giving you real-time metrics, beautiful dashboards, and increasingly proactive alerts, all powered by a modern, scalable multi-tenant, cloud platform. For more, see Developing Digital Intelligence.
- New Relic Infrastructure: Announced in August, New Relic Infrastructure is our new infrastructure monitoring solution focused on supporting the needs of modern operations teams. Bringing together configuration monitoring, real-time health metrics, and a dynamic, tag-driven approach to alerting and dashboards, Infrastructure leverages the power of New Relic Insights to provide unprecedented visibility into your ever-changing infrastructure. AWS– and container-native, its key features include live-state monitoring and change tracking, correlated real-time metrics and change events, tag-driven alerting and dashboards, and instant infrastructure search. For more, see Introducing New Relic Infrastructure.
- Project Seymour: At FutureStack16 San Francisco in November, New Relic Founder and CEO Lew Cirne demonstrated Project Seymour, which is being designed to use machine learning to help guide our customers to the most interesting, most relevant, and most actionable bits of their own data so they can see their digital businesses even more clearly. The demonstration of Project Seymour uses automatic, multi-dimensional anomaly-detection algorithms to bubble up abnormal events data “hiding” in software—and Seymour can work with New Relic Infrastructure to track the full infrastructure stack as well. For more, see Project Seymour Uses AI to Help You Understand Your Digital Business.
- FutureStack16 World Tour: The 2016 version of New Relic’s FutureStack user conference was so big it wouldn’t fit in one city, so we took it on the road to New York and London as well as our home base in San Francisco. Thousands of attendees brushed up their New Relic skills with hands-on, laptops-open training, got the skinny on the latest products and features, swapped insights with peers and experts—and had a great time doing it. For more on the FutureStack16 World Tour, check out this informative infographic!
- AWS Partnership: This year we also deepened our relationship with Amazon Web Services in a wide variety of ways, including New Relic Infrastructure’s deep integration with AWS EC2, Lambda, and much more. New Relic Infrastructure is also being offered on the AWS Marketplace, making it easier than ever to use New Relic to monitor your AWS usage. In addition, New Relic achieved AWS Partner Network competency in DevOps and Network Migration to go along with the Mobile competency we earned in 2015.
- Innovative New Features: In 2016, New Relic rolled out an impressive list of new ops-oriented and customer-experience driven features, including support for monitoring increasingly popular single-page applications. We dramatically improved New Relic Alerts, with dynamic targeting, NRQL alerts, JVM alerting, and powerful Dynamic Baseline Alerts that can help you quickly fine-tune your alerts to make them more useful than ever. On the mobile front, advanced Mobile Crash Analysis capabilities can help you fix balky mobile apps. We even added a new agent to support the Go language. And there’s plenty more where those came from!
- Expanded Dashboard Options: New Relic Insights dashboards are a critical way to view, understand, and share the data generated by your software. In 2016, we added a variety of new dashboard capabilities, including the highly requested Dashboard Timepicker—which lets users select a time range for every chart on a given dashboard—and Copy Any Dashboard features. Introduced in November, we more recently expanded their use to our new Metric Explorer and Event Explorer functions, which enable full-text search across the millions of metrics that New Relic agents collect about your applications and hosts. Those features debuted in October along with Add-To Insights, which lets you add charts from any New Relic product to an Insights dashboard with the click of a button.
- Project Upscale: In 2016 we didn’t just innovate with the software we delivered, we also broke new ground in the way we create software internally at New Relic. Specifically, in an effort to optimize our fast-growing engineering operations, we let our engineers choose their own teams and make their own rules. Sounds crazy, and we almost chickened out, but it worked out great. To learn more, watch this quick Project Upscale video or check out the FutureStack16 San Francisco session.
- Cloud Pricing Option: In August, New Relic introduced our Cloud Pricing Option: a simple, flexible, and transparent way for our customers to purchase New Relic APM. Based on the size of the instance on which the monitored application is running and the time it is connected to New Relic, the Cloud Pricing Option is ideal for customers running their applications in dynamic cloud environments.
- Five years a leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant: For an amazing fifth year in a row, analyst firm Gartner named New Relic as a Leader in its “Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring Suites” report. We think it’s a terrific cap to a great year for New Relic.
Of course, these 10 items are just a taste of what made 2016 so memorable for New Relic and our customers. To keep up, read the New Relic blog, check out our press releases, and attend our webinars. We’re looking forward to an even more awesome 2017.