It’s no secret that Ryanair specializes in low fares, nor that the popularity of those low fares has made it the world’s largest international airline.
Less well known is the fact that Ryanair’s original website was built in 2000 by a pair of 17-year-old interns with nothing better to do. Within three months, that website was processing 50,000 ticket sales weekly, ushering in the redundancy of call centers and travel agents.
Unfortunately, as the airline’s Infrastructure and Operations Manager Declan Costello explained in his recent FutureStack: London presentation “Ryanair: Always Getting Better With New Relic,” the site was also characterized by “a color scheme that made your eyes bleed, and a user experience that made you weep.”
- Ryanair Behind the Scenes: A Virtual Tour [blog post]
- Ryanair’s Ops Team Relies on New Relic to Deliver Passengers and Performance [case study]
More than a decade would pass before Ryanair would commit to improving that experience in order to “become as liked as we are useful.” But since launching the Always Getting Better program in 2013, the carrier has invested massively in IT.
One part of that investment is Ryanair Labs, an IT services company. Another is Ryanair’s use of New Relic, which Declan described as pervasive: “Everybody is using it. We’ve got dashboards everywhere.”
To learn how New Relic helps Ryanair achieve its goal of “being nicer to customers,” including a look at two specific troubleshooting examples, watch Declan’s full presentation in the video below:
Don’t miss the other FutureStack: London video posts in this series:
- Business Innovation Through Software
- Today’s Dynamic Infrastructure Requires Adaptive Visibility
- From Health Map to Dynamic Baseline Alerts: Meet New Relic’s Latest Innovations
- Keeping Your Apps Running at Scale
- How AWS Made Cloud the New Normal
- Taking Teamwork to the Next Level With New Relic
- The Real Impact of Every Business Becoming a Software Business
You can watch all available FutureStack17: London presentations, including the keynotes, at our FutureStack17: London YouTube playlist.
Join us in New York City
Thank you to Declan—and all our amazing speakers—for making our FutureStack world tour such a huge success. Join us in the Big Apple, September 13-14, for our 2-day flagship event, FutureStack: New York! Be sure to save your spot—register here today.
Watch a video preview of our FutureStack: New York event below:
Note: Event dates, speakers, and schedules are subject to change without notice.