Last week, we told you about our new RightScripts. If you’re a RightScale customer, RightScripts makes it easier than ever to add New Relic to your RightScale account to monitor, troubleshoot and optimize your Java, Ruby, .NET, PHP, and Python applications.
Follow this quick tutorial to see how to get started with RightScale and New Relic today!
Signup for a Free New Relic Account
First, you need a New Relic account. Remember, as a RightScale customer you get New Relic Standard free of charge through our partnership.
To signup for your free New Relic account:
1. Login or go to your RightScale Dashboard.
2. Select New Relic from the Reports dropdown.
3. Click Create a new New Relic account. If you already have an account, skip to Step 5.
4. Once you’ve successfully created your account, you will receive a license key and a temporary password.
5. Select New Relic from the Reports dropdown and click Use Existing New Relic Credentials.
6. Key in your license key from Step 4 and click Update.
Don’t forget, all new accounts receive a free 14 day trial of New Relic Pro. If you love Pro and want to upgrade, contact us and we’ll help you get started!
Adding New Relic to Your RightScale Account
Before you can view data from New Relic in your RightScale Dashboard, you need to add the appropriate New Relic RightScript to your ServerTemplates.
1. Select Design > MultiCloud Marketplace > Server Templates.
2. Search for and select the New Relic Performance Monitoring Toolbox ServerTemplate.
3. Once you’ve imported the ServerTemplate, find the New Relic RightScripts under Scripts.
4. The ServerTemplate contains different RightScripts:
* App New Relic RPM for PHP: Installs and configures the New Relic PHP agent and a local proxy daemon. It supports PHP versions 5.2 and higher on Apache 2.2 or 2.4.
* APP New Relic RPM for Java Tomcat: For use with Tomcat5 and Tomcat6 ServerTemplates. Installs New Relic RPM for Java and configures it for use with Tomcat.
* APP New Relic RPM for .NET: Installs and configures the New Relic agent for .NET applications. Supports versions 2.0 and above running on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Azure.
* Python: Contact New Relic for more information.
Note: For the instructions below, we will add the APP New Relic RPM for PHP RightScript to a PHP application server.
5. Add the APP New Relic RPM for PHP RightScript as a boot script to the ServerTemplate that is being used to run your PHP app servers. This automatically deploys the New Relic agent when a new server is launched with that ServerTemplate. If your PHP app is already running on a server, add it as an operational script under the Scripts tab and run the action on the running server.
6. Input your New Relic license key as the value of the script.
View Your New Relic Data
After you’ve added the New Relic RightScript and the appropriate input value, New Relic begins to monitor your application(s).
To view your New Relic data:
1. Select New Relic from the Reports dropdown.
2. You should see a list of the application(s) in your deployment. The list will only contain names of application(s) that are hosted on servers where you’ve run the New Relic RightScript.
3. Select the application you want to manager and check out the cool data you’re collecting.